High Fidelity 5G Modeling with Network Digital Twins
5G wireless technology promises a revolution in communications with substantially increased data speeds, significant capacity expansion, improved reliability, and much lower latency. Leveraging 5G-enabled communications, a plethora of applications and services are being launched that will impact virtually every industry: from telemedicine to smart cities, from improved tactical communications for the military to enabling the Internet of Things (IoT). As industry leaders in network digital twin technology, SCALABLE developed an accurate 5G model library to help evaluate the performance and behavior of 5G cellular networks. Our modeling and analysis tools give our customers the competitive edge to understand operational and business challenges across the 5G lifecycle.
SCALABLE’s 5G Model Library supports two modes of deployment: non-standalone (NSA) and standalone (SA). The NSA mode uses the new 5G frequency spectrums for radio access while using the Evolved Packet Core (EPC) of existing LTE networks which are enhanced to support 5G NSA. This approach allows new 5G services to be introduced quickly while maximizing the reuse of existing 4G networks. The SA mode uses a flexible cloud-based 5G Packet Core to provide Software-Defined Networking (SDN) and Network Functions Virtualization (NFV) capabilities to unlock the full potential of 5G.
5G Model Enhancements: Beamforming and Network Slicing
EXata 5G includes high-fidelity models to help evaluate the performance and behavior of 5G cellular networks. In particular, the 5G models implement features to support the enhanced Mobile Broadband (eMBB) functionality of the 5G standard. The underlying technologies implemented by the SCALABLE 5G models include:
Assess Resilience of the Ubiquitous Wireless Network
More devices than ever before will share the wireless landscape and be subject to an increasing number of policies and controls. To support these changes, EXata 5G will integrate with MBSE software to support testing of cyber controls and policies and will allow users to investigate the impact of integrating historically isolated networks into a single always-on network fabric on usability, cyber resilience, and business KPI.
Explore the Latest Scenarios
5G: Non-Stand Alone Network
Network Digital Twins of 5G Mobile Networks
5G Urban Air Mobility
EXata 5G Applications
- Determine the optimal layout of cell towers for full geographic coverage
- Uncover capacity or coverage issues before network deployment
- Assess performance benchmarks for different applications such as voice and video
- Simulate the effect of varied weather and traffic conditions
High-Fidelity 5G Modeling With SCALABLE
In the webinar, we will introduce our EXata 5G and discuss how wireless network simulation offers an efficient, cost-effective way to assess how a network will behave under different operating conditions. During the webinar, our host will show a live demo EXata 5G.
Creating 5G Scenarios
SCALABLE’s EXata and QualNet network simulator and emulator platforms provide an intuitive, easy-to-use GUI for creating simulation scenarios of a variety of communication networks, including 5G.
• The GUI supports a drag-and-drop functionality to create networks using preconfigured high-fidelity models of devices and links. The models are highly parameterized and can be easily customized to accurately reflect the devices, channel frequencies, etc., expected to be used in the proposed network.
• Terrain features (hills, trees, buildings, etc.) have a significant impact on signal propagation and must be incorporated in the simulation scenario in order to accurately assess network performance. The GUI supports easily importing terrain data in several widely used formats.
• The GUI also provides models of different types of applications (voice, video streaming, email, messaging, web browsing, etc.) which can run over cellular networks. To more accurately mimic real-world mix of applications in a simulation scenario, EXata and QualNet also provide tools to capture traffic from existing cellular networks and wireless LANs which can be used in 5G network simulations.
Analysis of 5G Scenarios
SCALABLE provides several visualization and analysis tools for assessing the performance of networks.
• The Statistics Database collects time-stamped statistics at different levels of granularity during a network simulation. These statistics can be analyzed and used to generate reports to understand performance issues and compare design alternatives.
• EXata and QualNet GUIs and the companion Scenario Player provide visualization of traffic flows and key metrics while a simulation is running. This provides valuable insight into network behavior, for example how different types of applications running simultaneously interact with each other, for instance how video streaming by some users affects the time to download an audio clip by other users.
• SCALABLE’s Scenario Analyzer displays simulation data from the Statistics Database in the form of graphs and heat maps. A heat map displays signal coverage as a colored overlay over the scenario terrain and provides a convenient way to identify gaps in coverage provided by a planned 5G network as well as possible interference with other wireless networks in the same region.
New Techniques for High-Fidelity 5G Modeling and Simulation
The blog also delves into how this increasing pressure on standardization has brought to light the need for modeling and simulation platforms in 5G networks to assist with cyber situational awareness, proficiency training, and network analysis.
Telecommunications: High Fidelity 5G Modeling with Network Digital Twins
As global cellular networks evolve to 5G, they are enabling and expanding a more all-things-connected world. These new 5G system environments create challenges for wired and wireless network planning, network analysis, and cyber threat analysis.
Cyber Security in the 5G Age – Securing your Network
From smart cities to military bases, critical infrastructure is about to get more complex with 5G networks. Modeling and simulation is critical to understand, protect, and ensure the resiliency of network operations.
Using Network Digital Twins for 5G Network Planning
An end-to-end 5G network digital twin that incorporates all facets of its operations can provide significant value and dramatic cost savings in both planning 5G network deployments and improving their performance under what are likely very dynamic operating conditions.
Get cutting-edge industry information. Access the entire library for additional resources.
New Techniques for High Fidelity Modeling and Simulation in 5G Mobile Network Environments
5G will enable the U.S. warfighter and cyber community to maintain its technological advantage as mobile networks evolve.
Automated Creation of Network Digital Twins
Digital Twins can be used for analysis which can provide insights and actionable information to improve the process or product in terms of optimized performance, cost-effectiveness, readiness, or maintenance.
Modeling of 5G Networks
5G is the latest technology standard for broadband cellular networks which employs cutting-edge technologies to deliver higher multi-Gbps peak data speeds, ultra-low latency, increased reliability, and massive network capacity.
Key Features of EXata
Real Time Emulator
Network Digital Twin
Commercial enterprises, educational institutions, and governmental organizations around the world all depend on reliable, effective networks to deliver business-critical, mission-critical communications, and information. SCALABLE maintains a highly experienced group of technical professionals to support customers and projects of any scale and solve challenging problems with our advanced network digital twin technology.