Network Digital Twin Ecosystem
Digital Twins to Model and Visualize Communication Networks and Cyber Threats
Since our founding in 1999, the team at SCALABLE has been focused on developing simulation technology and products to replicate live networks using high fidelity software models to create network digital twins.
A network digital twin refers to a computer simulation model of the communication network, along with its operating environment and the application traffic that it carries. The digital twin can be used to study the behavior of its physical counterpart under a diverse set of operating conditions, including cyber attacks, in a low-cost and zero-risk environment. However, to do so effectively, the digital twin must have sufficient fidelity to accurately reflect the network dynamics that can cause networks to behave unpredictably. The network dynamics are typically created by the interplay among the communication protocol, device configurations, network topology, application traffic, the physical environment, and any cyber threats.
In addition, live hardware and software applications can be seamlessly interfaced with, or integrated into, a network digital twin that executes in real-time. These real-time network digital twins can then be used to improve management, performance, and cyber resilience of networks in all domains, from commercial enterprise IoT to military networked systems operating from seabed to space.
Network Digital Twin: Product Ecosystem
The use of the network digital twin reduces recurring costs and lead times and provides an easier way to perform analysis, testing, and optimization. The framework enables testing of a large number of networks in a low-cost, lab-based setting with a small hardware footprint while reducing risk in fielding frequently changing network devices and programs. The network digital twin’s ability to respond exactly like a live network can play a key role in testing cybersecurity and helping to defend the networked systems against evolving cyber threats.
Creating a Network Digital Twin
Given the complexity of most networks, creating a digital twin which accurately represents the topology, configuration, and traffic of an existing physical network can be challenging. SCALABLE has developed an ecosystem of tools to assist the user in automatically creating network digital twins, as well as modifying, executing, visualizing, and analyzing their performance:
Scenario Designer is used to configure the network digital twin, which includes:
- Network topology, device characteristics, and traffic
- For wireless (sub)-networks, the network digital twin also includes terrain, environmental conditions like weather, and platform mobility
- For cyber resilience assessment, the network digital twin may also include cyber device configurations, vulnerabilities, firewall rules, and cyber-attacks
The Scenario Designer includes two major components: Scenario Importer and the SCALABLE GUI. The Scenario Importer automatically creates the network digital twin from external sources. The SCALABLE GUI can create a network digital twin from scratch or modify any part of an automatically-created network digital twin for what-if analysis.
Scenario Importer can import device, traffic, and cyber characteristics from an existing (As Is) network.
- The Scenario Importer may use the Topology Converter to convert a network topology specified in other formats that include live network scans, MBSE tools, Visio diagrams, and network simulators
- The Scenario Importer may use the Extractor to retrieve (a subset of) the relevant topology and device information from an external simulation (e.g., OneSAF, AFSIM, STK, VR-Forces, STAGE, ASCOT, and other mission simulations
The Scenario Designer stores multiple configurations in libraries to facilitate mixing and matching in Experiment Designer
- Chooses configurations from the libraries created by Scenario Designer (network, traffic, cyber, environment, mobility) to create experiments, e.g., running a live traffic recording on various wireless topologies
- Defines analysis objectives, including key performance parameters (KPPs) of interest (e.g., latency, packet drop, throughput, jitter)
- Specifies the execution environment for the network digital twin (local machine, server, cloud …) and connections to live equipment or external simulations
- Creates the network digital twin and executes the experiments, connecting to specified live equipment, live applications, and external simulations
- Interacts with the network digital twin at run-time to provide the ability to inspect and debug experiment configurations
- Superimposes networks on 3D environments to create a dynamic operational picture for visualizing entities, movement, terrain (including undersea), active network connections, packet routing, delivery, data rates, cyber state
- Enables human-in-the-loop interactions and launching of electronic warfare and cyber-attacks
- Used to display a variety of statistical measures (including the KPPs specified in the Experiment Designer)
- Displays heat maps, statistics over time
- Compares results across experiments
- Facilitates the generation of useful reports from the experiment statistics.
- Reports in tabular and graphical form can be generated using external tools such as Excel or Tableau
Network Digital Twin: Automated Creation
The following sections outline the steps and tools for creating network digital twins. While many of the steps are common to all types of network digital twins, some steps and tools depend on the type of network that the twin represents (a physical or constructive network) and its intended use (network performance or cyber resilience assessment).
Creating Network Digital Twins
Network digital twins can create a virtual representation of the trains’ communication network to accurately models the devices, communication links, operating environment, and applications running on the network.
Defense in Depth – The Importance of Leveraging a Network Digital Twin
A network digital twin serves as an effective planning, training, and assessment layer to maintain and enhance the security of the IT system.
Using Network Digital Twins for 5G Network Planning
An end-to-end 5G network digital twin that incorporates all facets of its operations can provide significant value and dramatic cost savings in both planning 5G network deployments and improving their performance under what are likely very dynamic operating conditions.
Get cutting-edge industry information. Access the entire library for additional resources.
Automated Creation of Network Digital Twins
Digital Twins can be used for analysis which can provide insights and actionable information to improve the process or product in terms of optimized performance, cost-effectiveness, readiness, or maintenance.
Enhancing Wargaming Fidelity with Network Digital Twins
Network Digital Twin technology incorporates high fidelity cyber, communications and networking simulation into a wargaming environment to support the development of effective operating concepts, capabilities, and plans.
Network Digital Twins for 21st Century Wargaming
Effective integration of professional wargaming in military force design, education, and training will be essential to charting our course in an era of strategic fluidity and rapid change.
Key Features of EXata
Real Time Emulator
Network Digital Twin
Commercial enterprises, educational institutions, and governmental organizations around the world all depend on reliable, effective networks to deliver business-critical, mission-critical communications, and information. SCALABLE maintains a highly experienced group of technical professionals to support customers and projects of any scale and solve challenging problems with our advanced network digital twin technology.